Principal Research Fellow & Deputy Head
Venugopalan Pallayil, or Venu as he is popularly known among his friends, has a post graduate degree in physics and a Ph.D in Microwave Electronics both from Cochin University of Science and Technology, India. He had been a reciepient of many research fellowships from reputed Indian Scientific Organisations such as ISRO, CSIR and DAE during the period of his PhD work. In 1986 he was selected for a 1 year Electronics Fellowship Course by the Government of India and after the successful completion of the course was posted as a Scientist in Naval Physical and Oceanographic Laboratory (NPOL), Cochin, India. In NPOL he worked as an R&D Scientist contributing to the Indian Defence Research & Development with major contributions in the field of air-borne ASW systems. In 1998 he joined Acoustic Research Laboratory as a Research Fellow and currently is a Senior Research Fellow.
He has been responsible for the successful completion of many projects in ARL, namely Ambient Noise Imaging (ROMANIS), Time Reversal Mirror and Digital Thin Line Towed Arrays. The project ROMANIS won the prestigious Defence Technology Prize in 2004 for the best Group Project. Currently he is leading the research activities on the development of light weight towed arrays, including fiber optic arrays, for underwater applications using AUV and USV platforms. He has several publications to his credit. Venuhas been part of three international acoustic experiments in collaboration with US institutions. In 2001 he participated in the South China Experiment and in 2013 he was invited to participate in the Target and Reverberation Experiment (TREx) off Florida, Panama City Beach. In 2017 he also participated on invitation in the Seabed Characterisation Experiment at the New England Mud Patch in collaboration with Woods Hole Oceanography Institute.
Apart from research activities, he also supports the lab as a Deputy Head, helping out the head of the lab on many fronts such as HR and finance management. He has also served as the Manager for Operations for the Tropical Marine Science Institute until April 2014. In this capacity he helped out the Director of the Institute on the admnistrative matters including Finance.
Venu is a Senior Member of IEEE, member of Acoustical Society of America and Society of Acoustics (Singapore). He is an elected member of the Administrative Committee for IEEE OES, USA. He has served the local IEEE Oceanographic Engineering Society in various capacities such as Chair, Vice-Chair and Treasurer. He was the Chair for Finance for the IEEE OCEANS 2006 Conference and also as Chair for Exhibits for the WESPAC 2015 conference held in Singapore. He served as the co-Chair and Chair for the Singapore AUV Challenge 2013 and 2014 respectively and continue to serve as its chair for sponsorship since 2013. He served on the OTC Asia Conference as a OES Programme Committee member in 2014, Co-Chair in 2016 and as Chair in 2018. He won the IEEE OES Presidents award in 2018 for his exemplary services to the Society. He is busy on week ends cooking Kerala dishes at home and enjoy sports.
- C. Chi, V. Pallayil, and M. Chitre, “Design of an adaptive noise canceller for improving performance of an autonomous underwater vehicle-towed linear array,” IEEE Journal of Oceanic Engineering, vol. 202, 2020. [ DOI | .pdf ]
- L. J. Wong, V. Pallayil, P. Muthuvel, K. Amudha, B. Kalyan, H. Vishnu, M. A. Atmanand, and M. Chitre, “Acoustic Backscattering Properties of Polymetallic Nodules from the Indian Ocean Basin: Results from a Laboratory Measurement,” in 2019 IEEE Underwater Technology (UT), (Kaohsiung, Taiwan), April 2019. [ DOI | .pdf ]
- Y. M. Too, M. Chitre, G. Barbastathis, and V. Pallayil, “Localizing Snapping Shrimp Noise Using a Small-Aperture Array,” IEEE Journal of Oceanic Engineering, vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 207–219, 2019. [ DOI | .pdf ]
- Y. T. Lin and P. Venugopalan, “Geoacoustic inversion using autonomous underwater vehicles,” in The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, vol. 143, p. 1798, Apr 2018. [ DOI ]
- V. Pallayil, “Ceramic and fibre optic hydrophone as sensors for lightweight arrays – a comparative study,” in OCEANS 2017 MTS/IEEE, (Anchorage, Alaska), September 2017. [ http | .pdf ]
- C. Chi and P. Venugopalan, “Noise cancellation for an autonomous underwater vehicle‐towed thin line array through recursive adaptive filtering,” in The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, vol. 141, p. 3925, June 2017. [ DOI ]
- V. Pallayil, “Seabed characterisation using acoustic technology and autonomous platforms,” in Underwater System Technology, (Penang, Malaysia), December 2016. (Keynote).
- A. Das and V. Pallayil, “Analysis of effective signal design for active sensing of undersea objects/bottoms in tropical shallow waters,” in OCEANS 2016 MTS/IEEE, (Shanghai, China), April 2016. [ DOI | .pdf ]
- V. Pallayil and N. Chotiros, “Auv-based seabed characterisation using a light weight towed array system,” in Offshore Technology Conference Asia (OTC Asia 2016), (Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia), March 2016. (Invited).
- V. Pallayil, M. Chitre, S. Kuselan, A. Raichur, M. Ignatius, and J. Potter, “Development of a second-generation underwater acoustic ambient noise imaging camera,” IEEE Journal of Oceanic Engineering, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 175–189, 2016. [ DOI | .pdf ]
- Y. M. Too, M. Chitre, V. Pallayil, Anshu, and G. Barbastathis, “Coral reef monitoring using ambient noise,” in CENSAM 8th Annual Workshop, (UTown Auditorium 1@ Town Plaza, CREATE Campus, NUS, Singapore.), 29 June 2015. (Poster Presentation).
- V. Pallayil, M. Chitre, B. Kalyan, S. Suman, T. B. Koay, C. S. Chia, H. E. Teo, C. S. Lim, and T. Taher, “The Singapore Autonomous Underwater Vehicle Challenge (SAUVC) : An Effort to Engage and Expose Young Engineers to Challenges of Underwater Robotics,” in OCEANS 2015 MTS/IEEE, (Genoa, Italy), May 2015. (Invited). [ .pdf ]
- V. N. Hari, M. Chitre, Y. M. Too, and V. Pallayil, “Robust passive diver detection in shallow ocean,” in OCEANS 2015 MTS/IEEE, (Genoa, Italy), May 2015. [ DOI | .pdf ]
- P. N. Chotiros and V. Pallayil, “Seabed Characterization Using Acoustic Communication Signals on an Autonomous Underwater Vehicle With a Thin-Line Towed Array,” in Naval Future Force Science and Technology Expo, (Walter E. Washington Convention Center, Washington DC), February 2015. (Poster Presentation). [ .pdf ]
- K. C. Unnikrishnan, V. Pallayil, and P. N. Chotiros, “Seabed characterisation using a low cost digital thin line array: Results from the Target and Reverberation Experiments 2013,” in 168th Meeting of the Acoustical Society of America, (Indianapolis, Indiana), 30 October 2014. [ .html ]
- K. C. Unnikrishnan, V. Pallayil, K. M. Lim, and C. H. Chew, “Flow noise response of a diaphragm based fibre laser hydrophone array,” Ocean Engineering, vol. 91, pp. 235–242, 2014. [ .pdf ]
- M. Chitre, I. Topor, R. Bhatnagar, and V. Pallayil, “Variability in link performance of an underwater acoustic network,” in OCEANS 2013 MTS/IEEE Bergen, (Bergen, Norway), June 2013. [ DOI | .pdf ]
- K. C. Unnikrishnan, V. Pallayil, K. M. Lim, and C. H. Chew, “Pressure compensated fibre laser hydrophone: Theory and experimentation,” Journal of Acoustical Society of America, vol. 134, no. 4, pp. 2710–2718, 2013. [ DOI | .pdf ]
- N. Chotiros and V. Pallayil, “Seabed characterization using acoustic communication signals on an autonomous underwater vehicle with a thin-line towed array,” IEEE Journal of Oceanic Engineering, vol. 38, no. 3, pp. 410–418, 2013. [ DOI | .pdf ]
- X. Yang, C. Zhihao, J. H. Ng, P. Venugopalan, and K. C. Unnikrishnan, “A PGC demodulation based on differential-cross-multiplying (DCM) and arctangent (ATAN) algorithm with low harmonic distortion and high stability,” in Proceedings of SPIE, vol. 8421, pp. 84215J–1, July 2012.
- K. C. Unnikrishnan, P. Venugopalan, K. M. Lim, and C. H. Chew, “Design considerations for a DFB fibre laser based high sensitivity broadband hydrophone,” in Proceedings of ECUA 2012, Edinburgh, July 2012. [ .pdf ]
- M. Chitre, S. Kuselan, and V. Pallayil, “Ambient noise imaging in warm shallow waters; robust statistical algorithms and range estimation,” The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, vol. 132, no. 2, pp. 838–847, 2012. [ DOI | http | .pdf ]
- K. C. Unnikrishnan, P. Venugopalan, Z. Chen, and J. H. Ng, “Development of a high sensitivity DFB fibre laser hydrophone – work in progress at national university of singapore,” in IEEE/OES SYMPOL COCHIN, INDIA, November 2011. [ .pdf ]
- S. Kuselan, M. Chitre, and V. Pallayil, “Ambient noise imaging through joint source localization,” in OCEANS 2011 MTS/IEEE, (Kona, Hawaii, USA), September 2011. [ DOI | .pdf ]
- P. Venugopalan, M. A. Chitre, K. C. Unnikrishnan, and K. Subash, “Digital thin line towed arrays:a low cost sensing solution for small autonomous underwater vehicles,” in 4th International Conference and Exhibition. Underwater Acoustic Measurements:Technologies and Results, (Greece), June 2011. (Invited).
- K. C. Unnikrishnan, P. Venugopalan, M. A. Chitre, and K. Subash, “Estimated flow noise levels due to a thin line digital towed array,” in OCEANS 2011 MTS/IEEE, (Santander, Spain), May 2011. [ DOI | .pdf ]
- C. Zhihao, J. H. Ng, and P. Venugopalan, “50km long dfb fibre laser hydrophone system,” in Proceedings of SPIE, 21st International Conference on Optical Fiber Sensors, vol. 7753, May 2011.
- P. Venugopalan, M. A. Chitre, K. Subash, A. R. Raichur, M. Ignatius, K. C. Unnikrishnan, S. P. Tan, and R. C. Naveen, “Ambient Noise Imaging:Experiments with ROMANIS,” in ICTCA 2011- 10th International Conference on Theoretical and Computational Acoustics, Taipei, April 2011. (Invited).
- S. Kuselan, A. Raichur, and V. Pallayil, “Design and development of a giga-bit ethernet based high speed broadband data acquisition system for an underwater imaging array,” in OCEANS 2010 MTS/IEEE Seattle, USA, pp. 1 –7, 2010. [ .pdf ]
- V. Pallayil, S. Sebastian, M. Chitre, K. Govind, and N. Chandhavarkar, “Characterisation of a digital thin line towed array-experimental assessment of vibration levels and tow shape,” in Underwater Acoustic Measurements: Technologies and Results, 3rd International Conference and Exhibition, (Nafplion, Greece), pp. 1235–1243, June 2009. [ .pdf ]
- V. Pallayil, M. Chitre, and P. Deshpande, “A Digital Thin Line Towed Array for Small Autonomous Underwater Platforms,” in OCEANS 2007 MTS/IEEE, (Vancouver, Canada), pp. 1–9, October 2007. [ DOI | .pdf ]
- P. D. Deshpande, V. Pallayil, and S. Teo, “Effect of biofouling on acoustic signals,” The Journal of Marine Science and Environment, August 2007. [ .pdf ]
- P. D. Deshpande, M. N. Sangekar, B. Kalyan, M. A. Chitre, S. Shahabudeen, V. Pallayil, and T. B. Koay, “Design and Development of AUVs for cooperative missions,” in Defence Technology Asia (DTA 2007), (Singapore), March 22 2007. [ .pdf ]
- J. R. Potter, V. Pallayil, M. A. Chitre, T. B. Koay, S. P. Tan, E. T. Tan, and P. D. Deshpande, “Shallow Water Ambient Noise Imaging Camera Developed at the ARL,” in Defence Research and Development conference, (Nanyang Technological University, Singapore), May 23 2006.
- P. D. Deshpande, V. Pallayil, S. Teo, X. Hu, and P. Seekings, “Effect of Biofouling on Acoustic Signals,” in Ocean Sciences 2006, Honolulu, Hawaii, February 20 – 24 2006.
- H. C. Song, W. S. Hodgkiss, J. D. Skinner, V. Pallayil, P. J. Seekings, I. Topor, and J. R. Potter, “Numerical modeling of a time reversal experiment in shallow Singapore waters,” in OCEANS 2006 MTS/IEEE – ASIA PACIFIC, vol. 1,2, pp. 805–810, 2006. OCEANS 2006-Asia Pacific Conference, Singapore, SINGAPORE, MAY 16-19, 2006. [ .pdf ]
- P. D. Deshpande, V. Pallayil, B. S. Wee, and J. R. Potter, “Creating an Incoherent Synthetic Aperture using an Autonomous Profiling Vehicle,” in AAS – ACOUSTICS 2004, Gold Coast, Australia, November 3-5 2004. [ .pdf ]
- V. Pallayil, P. D. Deshpande, M. A. Chitre, and J. R. Potter, “Broadband acoustic reflectivity and its application to characterisation of materials,” in OCEANS 2004 MTS/IEEE TECHNO-OCEAN ’04, (Kobe, Japan), November 2004. [ DOI | .pdf ]
- Y. Zhang, J. Potter, P. Seekings, M. Chitre, and V. Pallayil, “Rapid and robust single receiver geoacoustic inversion in shallow water,” in OCEANS 2004 MTS/IEEE TECHNO-OCEAN ’04, vol. 2, (Kobe, Japan), pp. 1048–1052, November 2004. [ DOI | .pdf ]
- V. Pallayil, M. A. Chitre, E. T. Tan, J. R. Potter, T. B. Koay, S. B. Ruiz, and S. P. Tan, “Ambient noise imaging – First deployments of ROMANIS and preliminary data analysis,” in OCEANS 2003 MTS/IEEE, (San Diego, CA, USA), pp. 882–888, September 2003. [ DOI | .pdf ]
- J. R. Potter, T. B. Koay, and V. Pallayil, “Statistical analysis of low-frequency noise recorded in ASIAEX by a PANDA system,” in Acoustical Society of America meeting, Cancun, Mexico, 2003.
- T. B. Koay, J. R. Potter, V. Pallayil, and E. T. Tan, “PANDA: A Rapidly Deployable, Self-Recovering Shallow Water Acquisition Platform,” MTS Sea Technology Magazine, 2002. [ .pdf ]
- J. R. Potter, V. Pallayil, and L. Malod, “Coherent Ambient Noise Imaging in shallow water,” in NUWC ASW workshop, Rhode Island, 2002.
- H. Zhang, T. B. Koay, V. Pallayil, Y. Zhang, and J. R. Potter, “Fibre channel storage area network design for an acoustic camera system with 1.6 gbits/s bandwidth,” in IEEE REGION 10 International conference on electrical and electronic technology (D. Tien and Y. Liang, eds.), vol. 1, 2, pp. 143–148, August 2001. IEEE Region 10 International Conference on Electrical and Electronic Technology, SINGAPORE, SINGAPORE, August 19-22, 2001. [ .pdf ]
- J. R. Potter, V. Pallayil, and T. B. Koay, “South China Sea acoustics; PANDA moorings (an endangered species),” in ASIAEX workshop, Hawaii, 2001.
- V. Pallayil, P. D. Deshpande, S. Badiu, S. Constantin, B. Lu, and J. R. Potter, “A 1.6 Gigabit/second, 25-85 kHz Acoustic Imaging Array- Novel Mechanical and Electronics Design Aspects,” in OCEANS’99 MTS/IEEE Conference Proceedings, Seattle, vol. 1, September 1999. [ .pdf ]