We have the following research opportunities at the ARL:
- Ambient noise and acoustics
- Underwater positioning
- Cooperative command & control and behavior of dynamic systems
- Communication theory, with a focus on underwater communications & networking
- Random signal processing and model-based filtering
- Beamforming and image processing
- Inversion, search & optimization techniques
- Numerical modeling and simulation
- Mechanical, electronics or software engineering skills
Undergraduate Research Opportunities
Summer Internship Guidelines
- Deadline for receiving applications: end-November, for summer the next year
- Notification of acceptance/rejection of application: end-December
- Processing of training visit pass: January to April
- Internship: May to July (8 weeks or more)
- Detailed CV
- Proposed start/end date of internship
- Research area of interest
- Relevant experience and skills
- Statement of interest, outlining how you will benefit from the internship, and how you can contribute to the research project (not to exceed 1 page)
- Description of previous project experience, if any
- Recommendation letters, if any
Information for International Applicants
Past interns at the ARL
Pankhuri Vanjani, Intern, Dec'19 - Jun'20
"Internship at ARL has been one of the best experience of my life, I got the opportunity to push my boundaries and deal with challenges. With the support of mentors, I learned to have patience and keep doing even if the results are not satisfying. Discussion meetings with mentors here have been the strongest brainstorming sessions I have ever been to. Besides the project, I found the lab culture quite supportive, engaging and interesting. Long conversations involving stories and incidents over lunch and the monthly martini BBQ were the fun part of this internship."
Yashdeep Thorat, Intern, Jan'20 - May'20
"I really cherish the time I spent at ARL. The internship was a great learning experience for me. There were lots of challenges I faced, but my mentors were really supportive and helpful. We discussed each aspect of the project and found ways to tackle the issues together. Also, I had loads of fun with all the amazing people in the lab. I will miss the Martinis (BBQ parties) and the long conversations over lunch. I'm truly grateful for the opportunity!"
Bertrand L., Intern, Jun'09 - Sep'09
"I had a fantastic time in ARL, I was able to significantly improve my knowledge and skills under the guidance of the people at ARL. In addition, I met loads of amazing people from all over the world. I also took advantage of the proximity to the rest of Asia and discovered many countries and was excited to see different cultures and ways of life. You have to take the first step, but once you do, there is no looking back, it really is the experience of a lifetime!"
Danbee Shin, UROP Student, Jan'09 - Jul'09
"I became involved in the project certain of two things: one, I knew next to nothing about this field of research and two, I wanted to learn whatever I could about it. After six months of constantly intriguing challenges and a kinetic and interpersonal learning experience, only the latter of those certainties remains true."
Kalyan Vaddagiri, Intern, Dec'08 - May'09
"ARL was like my second home. Everyone is so touching with their human gestures. I was able to learn many academic things only because of ARL. Frankly, I learnt my coding skills and concepts in ARL. The best times were at the BBQ parties where everyone mixes and has lot of fun. I miss ARL really from my bottom of the heart."
Sangram Raje, Intern, Summer 2006
"At ARL, I got to work on a large project and see the theoretical topics I had learnt being put to use in a practical application. Along with the knowledge that I gained through the project work, getting to work with the researchers at the lab was a very enriching experience. It has gone a long way in making me confident about working in a collaborative environment, on a large project and taking design and implementation decisions independently."
Chinmay Pendharkar, Intern, Summer 2004
"My internship at ARL was really fun. Not only did I get hands on experience, working with things that I had only studied, but also got to learn about current technologies, their design, implementation and testing. It was exciting and educational to work on the practical projects at ARL."