Try Engineering Tuesday featuring Hari Vishnu and Brandy Armstrong, Oceanic Engineering Society, Oceanic Engineering Society
Join the IEEE Oceanic Engineering Society and TryEngineering as they launch a new resource called TryEngineering Tuesday. This monthly blog & webinar series features an IEEE technical society with related activities for pre-university students and a free digital badge! Learn more about this initiative and how you can help students explore, engage, and get inspired about STEM fields! #Tryengineeringtuesday This inaugural TryEngineering Tuesday features Ocean Engineering! Ocean Engineering has as
TryEngineering Live: Engineer Spotlight will give a glimpse into the careers and lives of engineers. It will offer students who are interested in possibly becoming engineers, or who just want to learn more about the profession, an opportunity to ask questions to our guests. This series will feature professional engineers, engineering students, and other technologists. Oceanic Engineering includes all aspects of science, engineering, and technology that address research, development, and operations pertaining to all bodies of water. This includes the
Dr. Bharath Kalyan completes his research cruise to the Clarion-Clipperton Zone of the Pacific Ocean
On 14 February, nine NUS researchers hopped onboard a vessel to start a 37-day expedition to explore an understudied area nestled in the Pacific Ocean known as the Clarion-Clipperton Zone (CCZ). Flat and deep — reaching down between 4,000 to 6,000 metres below the surface — the CCZ is often referred to as an abyssal plain.
IEEE Transmitter interviews Dr. Hari Vishnu on the ocean, marine health, earth’s resources and space travel
About 70 percent of the Earth is covered by water, but we know only 5 percent of the ocean’s depths, leaving 95 percent completely unexplored, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Association. Deep-sea travel has proven to be a solid training ground for space exploration. What can the oceans and autonomous underwater vehicles tell us, both about the world we live in and the worlds we want to explore?
Creating an Internet-of-Things
for water monitoring through
new smart water and adaptive
Developing robotic intelligence and cost-effective
sensors for big data collection on water quality
Each year, the Presidential Award of the Oceanic Engineering Society honors one OES member who has been a consistent volunteer contributor to the Society. This award allows the Society to recognize the work done by a volunteer who is not an elected member of the Society. Dr. Venugopalan Pallayil was presented with the IEEE OES Presidential Award during the OCEANS’18 conference in recognition of his extensive support to the Society.
SINGAPORE: Five robotic swans will be used at various reservoirs in Singapore to monitor raw water quality, announced national water agency PUB on Monday (Jan 15).
The sea may seem a picture of calm, but that belies what lies beneath. Beneath a backdrop of rolling waves, the crackle of coral and chitter of fish are among a myriad of sounds made by one of the world’s noisiest environments.
Water chemistry assessment via sample
collection has always been a labour-intensive
exercise with many inherent physical
limitations. The information collected is usually
discrete in nature, with limited spatial extent
that may not provide a detailed representation
of the three-dimensional (3-D) water bodies.
How can submarines get online? Mandar Chitre has the answer. “We have all this wonderful wireless technology — why not bring it underwater?” says Chitre, a researcher of underwater communications at the National University of Singapore, and a technical advisor to Subnero, a Singapore-based sub-aquatic internet firm.
SINGAPORE (Reuters) – The Internet may feel like it’s everywhere, but large pockets of sky, swathes of land and most of the oceans are still beyond a signal’s reach.
Three decades after the first cellphone went on sale – the $4,000 Motorola DynaTAC 8000X “Brick” – half the world remains