Senior Research Fellow
Bharath Kalyan is currently with ARL, Tropical Marine Science Institute, National University of Singapore. Prior to joining ARL, he was working as a research staff at Intelligent Robotics Lab, Department of Electrical & Electronic Engineering (EEE) at Nanyang Technological University (NTU), Singapore where he managed various underwater projects, primarily focusing on underwater sensing and Autonomous surface craft and underwater vehicle navigation.
Bharath was awarded a Ph.D degree by NTU for his research in the field of autonomous underwater vehicular navigation. Prior to this, he obtained his Bachelors degree in Electronics & Communication from R.V. College in Bangalore, India. Bharath’s research interests include Co-operative mobile Robotics, Autonomous underwater vehicles (AUVs), Terrain aided Navigation, Multi-target Tracking, Random Finite Set Theory.
Apart from this Bharath also enjoys Scuba diving, Photography, Trekking, Running and anything that can get him away from the maddening crowds.
- Bharath Kalyan, K.W. Lee, W.S. Wijesoma, D Moratuwage, and Nicholas M. Patrikalakis. A random finite set based detection and tracking using 3D LIDAR in dynamic environments. IEEE Systems, Man & Cybernetics, Istanbul, Turkey, October 2010.
- Bharath Kalyan, Kwang Wee Lee, and Sardha Wijesoma. FISST-SLAM: A finite set statistical approach to simultaneous localization and mapping. International Journal of Robotic Research, pp. 1251-1262, Vol. 29, No. 10, September 2010.
- Kwang Wee Lee, Bharath Kalyan, Sardha Wijesoma, Martin Adams, Franz S. Hover, and Nicholas M. Patrikalakis. Tracking random finite objects using 3D-LIDAR in marine environments. In Proceedings of the 2010 ACM Symposium on Applied Computing, pages 1282 – 1287, Sierre, Switzerland, 2010.
- Moratuwage M. D. P., Wijesoma W.S., Kalyan B., Dong J.F., Namal Senarathne P.G.C. Nicholas M. Patrikalakis, Franz S. Hover. Collaborative Multi-vehicle Localization and Mapping in Marine Environments, IEEE Oceans ’10, Sydney, Australia, May 24 – 27, 2010.
- P.G.C. Namal Senarathne,Wijerupage Sardha Wijesoma,Kwang Wee Lee, Bharath Kalyan, Moratuwage M.D.P, Nicholas M. Patrikalakis, Franz S. Hover. !MarineSIM : Robot Simulation for Marine Environment, IEEE Oceans ’10, Sydney, Australia, May 24 – 27, 2010.
- A. C. T. Koh, W. S. Wijesoma, S. L. Pua, K. W. Lee, B. Kalyan, Shallow Waters SLAM Experiments on Meredith AUV using Forward Looking Sonar, 1 – 6. In MTS/IEEE OCEANS,Biloxi, Mississippi, USA, October 26-29, 2009.
- Parijath Deshpande, Mehul Sangekar, Bharath Kalyan, Mandar Chitre, Shiraz Shahabudeen, Venugopalan Pallayil, and Koay Teong Beng. Design and development of AUVs for cooperative missions. In Defense Technology Asia, Singapore, March 2007.
- Bharath Kalyan, Arjuna Balasuriya, and Sardha Wijesoma. Multiple target tracking in underwater sonar images using Particle-PHD filter. In OCEANS 2006 – Asia Pacific, pages 15, Singapore, 2006.
- Bharath Kalyan, Arjuna Balasuriya, Toshihiro Maki, Tamaki Ura, and Hayato Kondo. Embedding vision, Sonar INS based motion estimation algorithms for AUV navigation. In International Conference on Robotics and Automation, Palau de Congresses de Catalunya, Barcelona, Spain, April 2005. (Invited Paper), Republished: Integration of Vision and Inertial Sensors.
- Bharath Kalyan, Arjuna Balasuriya, Hayato Kondo, Toshihiro Maki, and Tamaki Ura. Motion estimation and mapping by autonomous underwater vehicles in sea environments. In IEEE Oceans, Brest, France, June 2005.
- Balasuriya Arjuna, Wijesoma Sardha, Bharath Kalyan, and Thomas Lim. An overview of NTU UAV: A research testbed. Robotics Research Center Journal, 3-1, June 2004.
- Bharath Kalyan, Arjuna Balasuriya, Multi-Sensor Data fusion Approach for Terrain aided Navigation of Autonomous Underwater Vehicles, IEEE Oceans, Kobe, Japan, November 9-12, 2004.
- Bharath Kalyan and Balasuriya.A. Sonar based automatic target detection scheme for underwater environments using CFAR techniques: A comparative study. In IEEE Underwater technology, Taiwan, 2004.
- Bharath Kalyan and Balasuriya.A. Multiple sensors based navigation scheme for AUV position estimation. In IEEE Underwater technology, Taiwan, 2004.
- Bharath Kalyan and Balasuriya.A. Sonar and vision based navigation schemes for autonomous underwater vehicles. In International Conference on Control, Automation, Robotics and Vision, Kunming, China, 2004.
- Balasuriya.A, Wijesoma.S, Bharath Kalyan, and Thomas Lim. Development of a test-bed AUV: the NTU-UAV. In Second International Conference on Computational Intelligence Robotics and Autonomous Systems (CIRAS), Singapore, 2003.